Bandipur National Park is regarded as one of the most beautiful and better-managed national parks of India. it is an important part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve that constitutes Karnataka’s Rajiv Gandhi National Park (Nagarahole) to its Northwest, Tamil Nadu’s Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary to its South, and Kerala’s Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary to its Southwest. The total extent of Bandipur National Park is 872.24 sq km. Bandipur has had a long tryst with tigers. One of the thirty reserves identified across the country to save the tiger and its habitat, it’s also one of the last refuges of the endangered Asiatic wild elephant. Apart from the two famed residents, some other endangered species such as sloth bears, gaurs, Indian rock pythons, jackals, muggers, and four-horned antelopes, sambar, mouse deer, chital, sloth bear, the rare flying lizard. Over 200 species of birds and a diversity of flora add to its attraction. Bandipur also supports a wide range of timber trees including teak, rosewood, sandalwood, Indian-laurel, Indian Kino tree, giant clumping bamboo, etc.
Bandipur Forest Safari
● Jungle Lodges and Resorts alone is now licensed to operate jeep safaris. Mini-bus safaris operated by the Forest Department begin from the range office.
● The bus safari is conducted between 6:15 AM-9 AMand 2:15 PM-5 PM.
● The fee is 350 INR per person.
● The jeep safari costs 3000 INR pax and is conducted between 6:15 AM-8 AM, 8 AM-9:45 AM, 2:30 PM-4:30 PM and 4:30 PM-6:30 PM.
● Trekking is now permitted in Bandipur.
● Elephant safaris have been discontinued.
Morning Timings: 6:10 AM to 9.45 AM
Evening Timings: 2:30 PM to 6.30 PM
Van/Mini Bus Safari:
● Indian Adult – Rs. 600
● Indian Child – Rs. 450
● Foreign Citizen – Rs. 1200
● Foreign Child – Rs. 800
● Interchangeable Lens / DSLR Camera Charges up to 70mm – Rs. 400 per camera per trip.
● Interchangeable Lens / DSLR Camera Charges for lens between 70mm to 200mm – Rs. 800 per camera per trip.
● Camera Charges above 200mm lens – Rs. 1000 per camera per trip.
● The petrol gypsy is suitable for up to 5 people – Rs. 4500 plus entry fee of Rs. 200 per person.
● Advance booking of Bandipur Jeep safari can be done on the Bandipur Tiger Reserve website-https://bandipurtigerreserve.in/
● Indian Nationals & Foreign Nationals – Check directly for various options.
● Safari timings and charges are indicative and may change any time, they may cancel at the last minute due to bad weather conditions, heavy rains, non-availability of vehicles, manpower, etc., Safari ride is on a first come first serve basis. Contact Forest Department for Safari booking.
Official Website of Bandipur National Park
● To avoid double park entry fee payment please book accommodation and safari together. Separate safari and accommodation booking is liable to pay the entry fee twice.
● No provision for any modification (postpone/ prepone) of dates/ trip (time slot) once the booking made.
● Checkin time is 13.00 Hrs.
● Usage of Mobile phones during safari is not allowed.
● Please bring the Xerox copy of the identity card( only for people staying in the room).
Best Time To Visit
Places to Stay
Few resorts are available to stay at Bandipur.
How to Reach
By Air: Mysuru Domestic Airport ( MYQ ) – 73km
By Train: Mysuru Railway Station – 73km
By Road: Bengaluru – 220 Kms
Coimbatore-Ooty-Gundlupet Hwy, Bandipur, Karnataka, 571126
Also Read Places to Visit in Karnataka