About Vizianagaram Fort
Vizianagaram fort is 18th-century fort in northeastern Andhra Pradesh, South India. It was built by Vijaya Rama Raju, the Maharaja of Vizianagaram in 1713. While laying the foundation for the fort, it was represented five signs of victory. There are many temples and palaces within the fort and a victory tower.
The Vizianagaram Fort was built in 1713 at a location where five Signs of Victory were supposed to be present. It is named after its founder Maharaja Vijay Ram Raju, also known as Ananda Raju I 1671 – 1717, the Maharaja of Vizianagaram. The site for the fort was suggested to the Maharajas by a Muslim saint, Mahabub Valli, who was doing penance in that forest.
There are two main gates of the fort that are architecturally elegant, with a built-in Rajasthani style of architecture. The east main gate is called the Nagar khana as it has a drum tower at the top which was used to beat drums to inform the people of royal orders and the arrival of royal guests. The west gate is the rear entrance to the Vizianagaram fort. This gateway is also built-in Rajasthani style with a pavilion on top. The gate provides access to the royal tombs and is a traditional gateway to take out dead bodies for cremation. In place of a moat, which existed in the past, there is now a well-turned park extending to the west gate.
The Moti Mahal is the royal court of the Durbar hall which was built by Vijayarama Raju-III in 1869. At the entry to this hall, there are two marble statues. This is a monument that represents the past glory, donated to the Maharajah Alak Narayan Society of Arts and Science by its founder Dr. P.V.G. Raju, the Raja Saheb of Vizianagaram, is now functioning as a college for women on its first floor. It also houses a museum that has artifacts of the past kings who ruled from the fort.
The Oudh Khana is the royal palace of the Rajas of Vizianagaram. A unique part of this palace is an exclusive bathroom of the Rajas, which is an octagonal stone structure that adjoins the Phool Bagh Palace. The structure is 50 feet in height built with stones and has a spiral stairway that leads to the water tank at the top that is fed by pumping water from a nearby well.
The Alaknanda Palace was built as a royal guest house. It was constructed in a plush style for the royal guests. Within the grounds of this palace, an airstrip has been built in recent years for use of the royalty. This palace, however, now houses the 5th Battalion of the Andhra Pradesh Armed Reserve Police.
Nearer to the Alakananda Palace is the Korukonda Palace. The land around this palace, about 1,000 acres large, is used as a playground and also has well-tended gardens. Educational institutions have been established in this land and there is a school to train youth who wish to join the defense forces.
Ganta Stambham is the Clock Tower patterned on the lines of Big Ben in London. The rajas of Vizianagaram, who used to frequent London during the British Raj, built it. It is located just outside the limits of the fort within the heart of the city. The octagonal tower, built of sandstone in 1885, reaches a height of 68 feet. It was painted white at the top in the past but is now painted cream and red.
Timings to visit Vizianagaram Fort
10:00 AM – 06:00 PM
Entry Fee / Time Duration
How to Reach Vizianagaram Fort
By Air: Vizag International Airport – 54.3 km
By Train: Visakhapatnam Railway Station – 54.6 km
By Bus: Vizianagaram – 1.9 km
Vizianagaram Fort, Head Post Office Rd, Jonnaguddi Area, Vizianagaram, Andhra Pradesh 535003, India.
AP Official Website Of Vizianagaram district
Also Read Place To Visit In And Around Vizianagaram District